The history of :em AG
The idea of founding a company was born at the beginning of 2001. The present members of :em AG’s management board knew each other back then as they worked together in the Department of Computer Integrated Design (DiK) at the Technical University of Darmstadt (TU Darmstadt). The three founders, Erik Claassen, Marcus Krastel and Sven Kleiner, were employed there as research assistants, while the fourth member, Christian Donges, was employed by a company that was working together with the DiK on a research project at that time. The starting shot for the founding of :em engineering methods AG was fired.
- This year :em can once again call itself a TOP employer for medium-sized companies, based on a study by Focus-Business and kununu.com.
- :em AG hosts the 15th Engineering Process Day with over 220 visitors from 86 companies.
- :em AG becomes a member of the Industrial Digital Twin Association e.V. (IDTA).
- :em AG becomes a member of the Medical Device Knowledge Units e.V., an initiative in the context of digital technical documentation of medical devices.
- CloudBees and :em AG agree on a strategic partnership in the areas of CI/CD & DevOps.
- Focus-Business and kununu.com once again award :em AG as a TOP medium-sized employer.
- With the celebration of the 20th company anniversary, :em AG hosts one of the first major events after the pandemic-related break with more than 200 guests in the Darmstadtium and subsequently hosts the Engineering Process Day for the 14th time.
- For the first time since the start of the Corona pandemic at the beginning of 2020, :em AG is again increasingly represented at presence events, such as the Siemens PLM Connection, the Mercedes Digital Product Forum or the Systems Engineering Day.
- Threedy and :em AG agree on a strategic partnership in the field of 3D visualisation for web-based collaboration.
- :em is TISAX® certified and thus stands for a standardised and comprehensive level of information security.
- :em AG has once again been named TOP employer for medium-sized companies in a study by Focus-Business and kununu.com.
- :em AG and Intland Software enter into a technology partnership with a focus on requirements engineering and application lifecycle management.
- :em AG becomes an Atlassian Gold Solution Partner.
- In January, the research project „Systemischer Produktentstehungsprozess zur gezielten Hebung von Leichtbaupotentialen“ (SyProLei) starts, which is funded within the framework of the technology transfer programme “Lightweight Construction” of the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy.
- The :em AG is acting as consortium leader in the research project “CyberTech – Advanced Systems Engineering für die Arbeitsgestaltung Cyber-technischer Systeme”, which started in February. The Federal Ministry of Education and Research is funding the project over the next three years as part of the programme “Innovations for tomorrow’s production, services and work”.
- In 2020 :em engineering methods AG was again named a TOP employer for medium-sized companies in a study by Focus-Business and kununu.com.
- :em AG joins the VDMA (German Engineering Federation), which, with around 3,300 members, is the largest network organisation and important voice of the engineering industry in Germany and Europe.
- The joint project “MoSyS – Menschorientierte Gestaltung komplexer System of Systems”, funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, starts with the participation of :em AG.
- :em AG is transferring the personal customer contact that was lost due to the Corona pandemic to the web. More than 850 participants attended 39 :em web seminars on topics from all business areas.
- :em is named again TOP employer medium-sized businesses in a study by Focus-Business together with kununu.com.
- At the turn of the year we celebrated the 100th ReqMan customer.
- The Engineering Process Day takes place for the 12th time with 13 customer presentations and 128 participants from over 60 companies.
- For the first time :em AG organizes a user roundtable on simulation data management (SDM) in Darmstadt, Germany.
- The research project ReqMod “Requirements Management becomes mobile” starts within the framework of the Innovation Promotion Hessen with funds from the LOEWE – Landes-Offensive.
- :em AG is a strategic partner for sales, implementation and support of Anark Intelligent Information Management (IIM) products
- :em is named TOP Arbeitgeber Mittelstand 2018 (Top SME Employer) in a survey conducted by the magazine Focus Business together with the employer review platform kununu
- At the beginning of the year, we gain what is already our 50th ReqMan® customer
- Definition of our new vision: “Delivering the digital future for engineering”
- Focus is placed on the two business areas “services” and “products”
- The Engineering Process Day takes place for the 11th time with a visitor record in Böblingen
- The company’s premises at Rheinstraße 97 are expanded to include the 5th floor (approx. 700 m2)
- The 100-employee mark is reached
- Celebration of the company’s 15th anniversary together with 120 participants: Engineering Process Day in Darmstadt under the motto “Digitalization Meets Engineering”
- Partnership with Dassault Systèmes is strengthened when :em AG is named CSI partner
- ReqMan® is given a web-based architecture and positioned on the market as a lightweight requirements management tool
- Presentation of the digitalized elevator as a real IoT demonstrator
- Elysium presents :em AG with its Rising Sun Awards 2015 in recognition of the strongest sales performance in the first year of collaboration with a global partner in the company’s history
- :em AG’s Engineering Process Day 2016 at the convention center in Böblingen attracts 118 visitors
- Realignment of business areas: CAD|CAE becomes MBE to provide support for model-based engineering
- The premises in Böblingen is expanded by adding another floor of offices
- Launch of a partnership with PTC regarding IoT and requirements management with ThingWorx and Integrity
- :em AG opens an office in Böblingen to ensure optimum customer support in the Stuttgart area
- Strategic sales partnership with Elysium regarding its CAD data conversion software CADFeature, CADDoctor and Asfalis
- Partnership with Phoenix Integration regarding ModelCenter, an engineering process integration and optimization solution
- Sales and development partnership with Atlassian regarding its software development environment
- Long-term sponsorship of needy children through WorldVision, a humanitarian aid organization
- Membership in the German Society for Systems Engineering (GfSE)
- :em AG opens an office in Munich
- Market launch of ReqMan® software for requirements management
- :em AG organizes Systems Engineering Day 2013 in Munich
- :em AG celebrates its 10th anniversary over the course of two days with a ceremony and symposium
- Signing of the prostep ivip Association’s Code of PLM Openness (CPO)
- Founding of the Automotive Special Interest Group (SIG), which focuses on NX in the automotive and supplier industries, at the Siemens PLM Connection conference
- Publication of the recommendation “Simulation Data Management in Integrated Collaborative CAD / CAE Process Chains”
- :em AG becomes a member of the CAMP (Center for Applied Methods Against Product Piracy) network at TU Darmstadt
- :em AG joins Darmstadt Chamber of Commerce’s committee for Industry, Research and Innovation
- :em AG receives V6 certification
- :em AG becomes one of seven strategic partners for Dassault Systèmes’ V6 platform
- Engineering Process Day 2010 with 81 participants from 40 companies is a great success
- Official presentation of the software solution IPgen for CATIA and NX template management
- :em AG receives an Airbus Award for Excellence for its RapidFlap software
- :em AG’s IPpro software solution places second in the Innovationspreis IT-Buch Darmstadt competition
- The maiden flight of the A400M marks the first time that an Airbus aircraft equipped with landing flaps designed using :em AG software takes to the air
- :em AG is named a “global market leader in engineering knowledge protection solutions” in the context of the VDI’s “Germany is World Champion” campaign
- Third move to new offices (approx. 1,000 m2) in Rheinstraße in Darmstadt
- :em AG launches the “CATIA V5, KBE and Automation” round table
- :em AG organizes Engineering Process Day 2008 in Darmstadt
- Dassault Systèmes certifies :em AG as a CAAV5 Adopter
- :em AG tackles the issue of knowledge protection, developing the software solution IPpro
- :em AG organizes KBE / CAA Day 2007
- :em AG celebrates its 5th anniversary
- Certification of :em AG as a V5 Development Service Provider
- Office space in the new TIZ building is expanded to approx. 350 m2
- Organization of Intellectual Property Protection Day 2006 in Darmstadt under the motto “Knowledge Protection in Engineering”
- :em AG receives an Airbus Award for Excellence for its cadaeras (CAD Aerodynamic Assistant) software
- Dassault Systèmes names :em AG a SMARTEAM Certified Professional Partner
- :em AG organizes Knowledge Based Engineering Day 2005
- :em AG becomes a member of the PROSTEP iViP Association
- Second move – into offices offering approx. 220 m2 of space in the TIZ’s new building
- Move to larger offices (approx. 150 m2) in the TIZ
- :em AG becomes an IBM business partner for the PDM solution SMARTEAM
- :em AG organizes its first symposium, Knowledgeware Day 2003
- The company’s name is changed to :em engineering methods AG in April 2002
- The logo with two colored circles symbolizing the beads on an abacus is created
- A supervisory board comprising Prof. Reiner Anderl, Benno Rösch and Gunter Schimpf is established
- The company moves into its first, 50-square-meter, office located in Darmstadt’s Technology and Information Centre (TIZ) in Robert-Bosch-Straße
- Founding of the company under the name “engineering methods”